Get clarity about how you are creating change in the world
It's a learning and co-mentoring programme made of exclusive sessions with impact investors and funders, entrepreneurs and mentors, topped up with learning teleconferences, coaching, access to women angels, other support organisations and a strong peer-to-peer network.
You learn about how to design business models, you also learn about yourself and the conditions that help you make an impact in your life and your community.
Be one of 250 Future Women Social Entrepreneurs
Make a Wave is a unique specialist incubator programme for women social entrepreneurs.
It is aimed at aspiring social entrepreneurs with no social enterprise management experience.
A new programme that aims to give 250 women thoughout the UK foundation skills to think about social enterprise, design a business model that will postively impact on people and planet, and get started for real!
- 1 interactive Business Skills Bootcamp introducing peer-to-peer coaching, finance, crowdfunding, business models, team-skills, fundraising, and branding, provided simultaneously in 5 regions.
- A year peer-to-peer support & e-coaching opportunities
- Six mentoring webinars by business experts and social entrepreneurs
- A Crowdfunding competition testing entrepreneurial capacity
- Micro-loan prizes of £1000 (confirmed by our partnering Foundation) to pilot a product/service
- 3 Local networking events to maintain group's peer-to-peer connections and referrals to local opportunities.
In 2011, with the help of an RSA Catalyst Award, we decided to pilot Make a Wave, the first Incubator for Women Social Entrepreneurs. To date, the incubator has supported and provided investment opportunities to 20 women entrepreneurs who were able to demonstrate skills and investment readiness.
Participants got over 40 hours contact time with professionals and peers for a unique personal and business development opportunity.
- 6 x face-to-face group sessions in London with VC’s, angels, impact investors, philanthropists & accelerators, who will give you invaluable insights and tips.
- 3 x masterclasses in Crowdfunding, Finance, Social Impact Measurement.
- 6 x live mentoring webinars with leaders on technical topics (finance, impact reporting, PR, branding, teams, thinking like an investor, scaling or not scaling, lobbyism...)
- Brainstorm and peer-mentoring with a different fellow every month to give and gain insights.
- 6 x individual coaching sessions from the Ogunte team about you and your business.
- Crowdfunding support
- Funding, media & speaking opportunities, and business challenges are given out on a regular basis to the fellows.
- Tailored guidance, media and referrals package available throughout the programme.
Lead from your strengths!
Success indicators include:
- increased confidence levels in finance, personal and team management;
- taking up new commercial opportunities;
- invitation to submit proposals to incubators or investment programmes, or to dealflow;
- increased confidence level to pitch to new audiences and funders
- refined business proposal that investors are happy to look at and potentially accelerate;
- exposure in the media and new markets (UK and Global)
- feedback from consumers that the products/services are communicated clearly.
- successful fundraising (over £500000 to date)
We are very grateful to the following hosts and organisations for providing invaluable knowledge and technical assistance to the incubator's participants
- Dawn Austwick OBE, former CEO Esmee Fairbairn Foundation, CEO Big Lottery (UK)
- Vik Anderson and Board at Venture Partnership Foundation (UK)
- Suzanne Biegel (Catalyst at Large, ClearlySo, Gender Lens on Investment, previously CEO Investors Circle) (UK)
- Susan Aktemel (Scotland)
- Bonnie Foley-Wong, CEO Pique Ventures (Canada),
- Lauren Burnhill CEO OPV (USA)
- Jenni Inglis, SROI Network (Scotland)
- Ida Beerhalter (Germany- Saudi Arabia)
- Miriam Jordan Keane (UK)
- Theresa Burton, Ceo Buzzbnk (UK)
- Nesta (UK), Village Capital (UK)
- Adele Blakebrough, Ceo Social Business Trust (UK)
- Daniele Barone-Soares, Ceo The Impetus Trust (UK)
- HubVenture Labs (UK), Sally Goodsell, Ceo FSE Group and founder INCITO VENTURES (UK)
- Melanie Stubbing (President International WeightWatchers Inc)
- Big Issue Invest (UK)
- Alison Bukhari, Director Dasra UK
- Natalia Oberti Nigeura, Pipeline Fellowship (US)
- Kate Welch, Ceo Acumen Development Trust (UK)
If you want to be an angel on Make a Wave
You are an aspiring or experienced business angel and you want to make a difference to women social entrepreneurs at seed stage, contact us here and we will explain how you can access subsequent larger investment opportunities. Consider joining the Activist Angels programme.
The Ogunte team
We are committed to involve hosts, speakers, angels and participants in the Make a Wave PI programme who share strong values around collaboration, positive communication style, and constructive support. We also understand the challenges of campaigning and activism. However, participation in activities involving libel, slander and threats will result in immediate removal from this programme.
Make a Wave is an independent programme, supported from 2011 to 2013 by the RSA Catalyst Fund and Ogunte.